Jo is a great artist and in demand tutor based in the Midlands. She uses on canvas using colour washes, overlain with areas of impasto, the initial stages of which she likens to ‘action painting, taking controlled risks and sometimes just relying on chance’. As such she commonly uses ‘large, loose colour washed areas with tighter, realistic features and embellishment.’ Check out her wonderful art HERE.
So, onto the nitty gritty Jo…
1. Where were you born?
2. Where did you grow up?
3. What jobs have you had? (Any jobs before you became an artist/musician etc)
Secondary school art teacher.
4. What got you started?
Always loved art- did a degree in art.
5. How old were you when you started?
Been drawing as long as I can remember.
6. Did you do any training? Where did you study?
Coventry University- degree in Fine Art.
7. What was the first piece of work you did?
Hard to say as I have never not been producing art so I cannot remember.
8. What piece of work are you proudest of?
I don’t have a particular favourite although I’m fondest of the paintings of my family.
9. What are you best known for?
Painting fossils and landscapes.
10. What do you like most about your art form?
I like to get messy and see what happens.
11. What are you working on now?
I’m working on several local landscapes at the minute.
12. Describe your favourite kind of working day.
One that is pure undisturbed painting time.
13. What top tip would you give to someone starting out in your artform?
Visit galleries and read books.